PCC welcomes funding for victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence

20th May 2021

Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent, Jeff Cuthbert, has welcomed an investment of £644,446 from the Ministry of Justice to support victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence.

The funding will be used to support four Independent Sexual Violence Advisors and four Independent Domestic Violence Advisors to work across Gwent for two years.

Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs) and Independent Domestic Violence Advisors (IDVAs) are independent advisors who offer confidential, victim-focused advice and support.

ISVAs work with women, men and children over the age of 13 who have been victims of rape, sexual violence or childhood sexual abuse. IDVAs work with anyone who is at high-risk to harm from a partner, ex-partner or family member.

Jeff Cuthbert said: “I am committed to supporting victims of crime, particularly those who have experienced the most serious harm.

“This funding will allow us to expand support services in Gwent, helping to ensure that help is available to those who need it most.”

The following services offer specialist support to victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence.

BAWSO: Provides specialist support services for Black minority ethnic residents.
Website: https://bawso.org.uk/
Phone: 08007318147

Connect Gwent: Offers a wide range of victim support services. You do not have to report a crime to the police to access these services.
Website: www.umbrellacymru.co.uk/connect-gwent
Phone: 0300 123 2133

Cyfannol Women’s Aid: Provides domestic abuse and sexual violence support services.
Website: https://cyfannol.org.uk
Phone: 01495 742052

Live Fear Free: Free Welsh Government helpline giving information and advice for people suffering with domestic abuse or sexual violence.
Website: https://gov.wales/live-fear-free
Phone: 0808 8010 800.

New Pathways: Provides rape crisis and sexual abuse support services for adults and children.
Website: www.newpathways.org.uk
Phone: 01685 379 310

In an emergency, always call 999.