Complaints Against the Chief Constable

The Police and Crime Commissioner is the disciplinary body (Appropriate Authority) for complaints, conduct, and death or serious injury matters involving the Chief Constable.  Complaints about any staff or officers under his direction and control should be sent to the Professional Standards Department of Gwent Police.

If you have a complaint in relation to the Chief Constable please send it to the Police and Crime Commissioner by:


In writing:

The Police and Crime Commissioner
Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Gwent
Police Headquarters
NP44 2XJ

The arrangements for dealing with complaints against the personal conduct of a Chief Constable are statutory and are set out within the Police Reform Act 2002If you wish to make a complaint about the personal conduct of the Chief Constable, in not meeting the Standards of Professional Behaviour, then please state what the complaint is about and what you would regard as a satisfactory outcome.

We aim to make a recording decision and reply to you within 10 working days. You have the right to appeal to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) if you disagree with our decision not to officially record your complaint. We will decide whether the complaint can be locally resolved with you, or if the allegation relates to criminal or misconduct proceedings which require a formal investigation. We will also determine whether any action should be taken and whether disciplinary proceedings should be brought, if the complaint is against the current Chief Constable. This is not required for a Chief Constable who is no longer serving in Gwent Police, although criminal proceeding could be brought if appropriate.

For more information about how complaints are dealt with please see the IOPC website.

Share this: